Outreach Coordinator, New Jersey Alliance for Immigrant Justice
New Jersey Alliance for Immigrant Justice is seeking a new Outreach Coordinator to join our team.
The New Jersey Alliance for Immigrant Justice (NJAIJ) is a statewide membership-based coalition that creates and achieves policies in New Jersey that support immigrants in becoming economically, politically and socially rooted within the state. NJAIJ will use the power and strength of its member organizations to ensure that New Jersey’s immigrant communities are leaders in the development of policies that impact their lives and the lives of all New Jersey residents. NJAIJ and its members will work to ensure that New Jersey provides access to services, support family unity, and develop policies and strategies for immigrants to fully participate in civic life. The human, civil and labor rights of New Jersey’s immigrants, both documented and those seeking status, will be protected.
Reporting to the Director and collaborating with the Executive Committee and Operations and Communications Associate, the Outreach Coordinator will advance the mission of NJAIJ, by providing members with support and resources to increase their capacity as they continue advocating for immigrant rights across the state. The Outreach Coordinator will help drive the NJAIJ membership’s priority campaigns by coordinating campaign committees and supporting NJAIJ campaign events, actions, and legislative outreach.
The Outreach Coordinator will assist in building relationships with members, partners, and stakeholders such as legislators and other leaders to advance NJAIJ priorities. The Outreach Coordinator will lift up the needs of members and impacted community members to NJAIJ leadership, ensuring resources, information, and strategies reflect the needs of immigrants across the state.
The Outreach Coordinator will be expected to travel to other parts of the state and work some evenings and weekends. This may include occasional evening events and presentations, meetings with community leader teams and organizers, rallies and community actions. This position is ideal for candidates who have organizing background and are looking to expand their advocacy expertise, or those with advocacy expertise who wish to expand their organizing experience.
The Outreach Coordinator will have ongoing responsibility for the following specific activities:
- Coordinate and support NJAIJ campaign priorities, ensuring members and partners are actively engaged;
- Maintain communication and relationships with members, partners, and stakeholders;
- Build a network of community organizations and partners to expand resources for the Alliance membership;
- Engage with and support members to build their advocacy capacity by providing resources, training, and mentorship;
- Allocate training and support for NJAIJ members’ areas of need per alliance membership requests and priorities;
- Help create toolkits and materials for member organizations to participate in the NJAIJ advocacy campaigns;
- Gather and share best practices and advocacy resources;
- Expand capacity for advocacy campaigns through best practices for community outreach through train the trainers;
- Provide support and anchor the work of all the organizations around the Alliance work;
- Work closely with Director and Operations and Communications Associate to complement the activities of the Alliance’s policy and advocacy campaign.
Required Qualifications and Experience
The Outreach Coordinator should have the following experience and qualifications:
- At least two year of experience in organizing, immigration advocacy, project management, and/or legislative advocacy, preferably on issues that fall within the NJAIJ’s priorities;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is the minimum required educational credential;
- Experience working with immigrant communities;
- Some knowledge of capacity building and/or organizational support around advocacy issues;
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the NJAIJ’s values, mission, and goals, with knowledge and understanding of the range of immigration issues;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse staff and coalitions and community groups, motivate volunteers, and work across the political spectrum;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking skills;
- Ability to work independently and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands;
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends for community events and meetings;
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain orderly records;
- Proficiency with MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Documents;
- Experience working in/with coalitions
- Valid driver’s license
- Fluency in English and Spanish
Benefits package includes health benefits, travel reimbursements, vacation, and holidays. This position is funded for one year and may be extended, contingent on additional funding.
How to apply:
To apply for the position, please submit a substantive cover letter with salary requirement and current resume by April 12, 2019 to Johanna Calle, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
NJAIJ/NEO Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status.