Fair & Welcoming - New Jersey For All
The NJAIJ Fair and Welcoming - New Jersey For All - Platform fights to “future-proof” New Jersey against cruel and inhumane federal immigration enforcement by establishing clear separations between our state resources and state agencies, and banning ICE detention contracts.
The Fair and Welcoming Platform includes:
- S3361/A5207 which bans future ICE detention contracts WON!: On August 20th, 2021, New Jersey enacted bill S3361/A5207 to ban new ICE contracts!
- A6222/S4289 (Values Act) which provides crucial protections at State agencies so immigrants can access services and programs without fear of arrest or deportation
Together, these bills:
- Ban new ICE detention contracts including renewals or expansions. WON!: On August 20th, 2021, New Jersey enacted bill S3361/A5207 to ban new ICE contracts!
- Make schools, hospitals, and communities safer and make data more secure by updating confidentiality policies and restricting what can be shared with immigration authorities.
- Closes law enforcement loopholes that entrap immigrant communities by strengthening the Immigrant Trust Directive and making it permanent.
- Remove harmful terms like "alien" from state language so that laws affirm our right to belonging and inclusion
A fair and welcoming New Jersey for all of us, regardless of immigration status.
- New Jersey must include and honor the dignity of all its residents. New Jersey is home to 2,033,292 immigrants.
- New Jersey is more prone to emergencies, crises, and accidents, when communities are unsafe for immigrants.
- The Immigrant Trust Directive (ITD) is a temporary, limited solution that includes gaping loopholes, leading to continued cooperation with immigration enforcement agencies.
Learn about the Values Act to strengthen and codify the Immigrant Trust Directive.
NJAIJ is a statewide coalition that fights for policies that empower and protect immigrants.