Title: Campaign Strategist
Open Date: 5/26/2021
Screening Begins: 5/26/2021
Close Date: Until filled
The New Jersey Alliance for Immigrant Justice (NJAIJ) is a statewide coalition that fights for policies that empower and protect immigrant New Jerseyans. We are seeking applications for a campaign strategist.
At the core of NJAIJ’s work is the recognition of the right to human mobility, the root causes of migration, and the equality of all human beings. NJAIJ brings together the power and strength of our member organizations to ensure that New Jersey’s immigrant communities are leaders in the development of policies that impact their lives.
NJAIJ currently convenes two core campaigns and a support campaign platform. NJAIJ’s core campaigns include “Fair and Welcoming: New Jersey For All” platform launched in 2021 and the “Let’s Drive NJ: Drivers’ Licenses For All” campaign which is in its final implementation phase. The support campaign platform, “NJ SOS: Systems of Segregation,” includes our work led by external members and partners and includes issues like healthcare, budget justice and tax reform, funding excluded workers, housing, and democracy reform.
This position is currently remote but will eventually require in-person attendance at our Newark, New Jersey office. The role will occasionally require travel to Trenton or to partner organizations as well as periods of standing, walking, and light lifting (boxes with outreach materials, banners, etc). Socially-distant and COVID-19 safe in-person activities to be expected over the summer.
In addition to supporting the overall mission of NJAIJ, the Campaign Strategist will be responsible for:
Crafting, managing, and executing strategy for NJAIJ’s core campaigns by
- Convening campaign calls with NJAIJ member organizations
- Using member input, guidance, and feedback to craft campaign strategies
- Scheduling and attending advocacy meetings with legislators and decision makers
- Creating toolkits, talking points, testimony templates, letter drafts, and other advocacy collateral for member organizations to use in support of NJAIJ campaigns
- Identifying targets, allies, and opposition for campaign issues and
- Determining opportunities for escalation, education, or base building
Representing NJAIJ in member- and partner-led support campaigns by
- Attending member- and partner-led meetings
- Sharing updates back with NJAIJ member organizations
- Positioning NJAIJ to influence policy for issues that are not immigrant-specific (for example, the impacts of the housing or eviction crisis on New Jersey’s immigrant communities)
Strengthen NJAIJ’s advocacy presence by
- Maintaining and forging new relationships with public officials and their staff
- Developing a strong network of allies in New Jersey’s policy, research, and social justice space
- Working with members and the Director to identify speaking, legislative, and advocacy opportunities that further NJAIJ’s mission and position the organization and members as a thought leaders on immigrant rights and policies
1-2 Year Priorities:
- Monitor and oversee the Motor Vehicle Commission’s implementation of status-neutral driver’s licenses
- Invigorate the “Fair and Welcoming: New Jersey For All” campaign, including the introduction and monitoring of legislation and coordination of advocacy campaigns
- Use emerging research and data, including recent Census 2020 data, to develop a robust understanding of the state’s emerging communities and immigrant population
- Support NJAIJ’s effort to increase capacity for member organizations to mobilize for campaigns, run non-partisan voter registration drives, and engage in public education town halls
Qualifications & Core Competencies:
The hiring process will consider a wide range of lived and earned experiences. Competitive applicants will possess a majority of the following:
- Deep personal ties or commitments to New Jersey immigrant communities
- Strong commitment to racial, social, and economic justice and critical analysis of systemic racism and structural inequities in the state
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in concise, accessible language
- Eagerness to work in fast-paced environments that may require transitioning quickly between tasks
- Sense of independence and ability to make strategic decisions, even with limited information
- Careful attention to detail and well-developed time and project management skills
- Experience in advocacy coalitions, consensus building, and conflict resolution
- Experience with the New Jersey legislature or in State-level issue-based campaigns
- Competency with Google Suite, major social media platforms, Canva, and other advocacy technologies
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish candidates strongly preferred
This position has a salary range between $50,000 - 60,000 based on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits package includes health benefits, travel reimbursements, vacation, and holidays.
Interested applicants should submit PDF versions of their cover letter and resume to Amy Torres at [email protected] with the words “Campaign Strategist: (First & Last Name)” in the subject line. Writing samples welcome but not required.
NJAIJ is fiscally sponsored by NEO Philanthropy.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that fosters belonging and empowerment in our work.
We strongly encourage a diversity of identities and experiences to apply.